Thursday, August 28, 2008

My So Called Life

I have been catching up with a show I haven't seen in years. I can't remember if they replayed the show a year or so after it first aired, but I know I've seen it a few times. It was broadcast on MTV and it was at the time when MTV first started airing TV shows that were not related to music videos. The first Real World was I think a year ago or so. Or maybe it was the same year that this show premiered.

Regardless, the TV season was 1994-1995. They had a soundtrack that featured Stone Temple Pilots and the whole grunge era was in full swing as was very obvious from the wardrobe. I must say, I loved the clothes for that time. Big comfy flannel shirts, high waistline jeans, or long oversized dresses. SO different from the short skin tight tops and low-cut jeans of later times.

I had SUCH a crush on Jared Leto. He also had the grunge look down. But I've seen him in a few things since then and his look has changed....who's hasn't?....and it just doesn't translate as well with his shorter hair.

I remember how neat it was that the main character was almost the same age as I was. Actually she was a year younger. But it was still easy to see some of the same things she was going through that I could see happening to me.

But the thing about watching it now is that it has been so long. Shows like Dawson's Creek that I have seen a lot since when it first aired haven't changed as much as this show has. I still like it, but I now am watching it with a parent's perspective. Not only that, but a parent with a girl. This family has two girls, significantly different in age.

I know they did a lot of dialogue and storylines because they were interesting, but it really irks me that they ignore the younger daughter like they did. She does so much to try to get noticed, I'm pretty sure she would be a fairly damaged girl if they "grew her up" on the show. But it was still very interesting to pay attention to the parent's thoughts and discussions and now I can't help but wonder if that is going to be me in a few years.

My oh my....how perspective can change. At least I can say I still like the show. Even if it is for the nostalgic feel of it.

No comments: