Thursday, August 21, 2008

Swimming is a learning experience!

I am shocked at how much Trevor is falling into learning back what he once had even a year ago. I guess part of it was just a growing thing he needed to do. Actually most of it probably was. I know he used to be able to put his face in the water, but now he doesn't want to. Or he didn't at the start of the week.

I watched the class on the first day and noticed that there were two other kids in his class. Neither of them needed a float belt. I knew Trevor didn't "need" one but he wanted one because it made him more comfortable swimming. On Tuesday I asked the teacher to try to make him swim without it. I watched again and saw him swimming from about a foot off of the side of the pool, but he did it! The teacher also said he was floating on his back for a while without the belt on. Now they don't even have him put it on. YAY TREVOR!!!

I can also see how when it isn't his turn to swim around with the teacher, he likes to talk to the other kids and ask them to go down under the water and pop back up. I saw both of them try to convince him he could do it, but he would just shake his head and ask them to do it again. Today, in the pool that he can touch in, he was dunking his head under the water and popping back up. I did notice that he was wiping his eyes when he came back up, so I thought today was the day to ask him if he wanted to try goggles again. I bought them last year for when I saw all the other kids had goggles on. But again, he has just grown up enough where he wants to be like the other kids and I'm sure part of it is wanting to be able to see under water. So when I asked him tonight if he wanted to try them on, he immediately said yes. Even wore them into the bath to see how they worked. I'm sure it's going to take a while to get used to them, but at least they can work a little while so he can understand how it can work. It should get him used to a bit more confidence in the water.

So tomorrow is the last day of class, but I'm already signing him up for classes on a day he doesn't have preschool. I can only assume that he'll work his way up to being a better swimmer soon!

No comments: