Sunday, August 24, 2008

Another kind of golf

I've been meaning to take Trevor to the nearby mini golf place for a while. I figured yesterday would be a good day, although I'm not used to it being so COLD. And I know, 70 degrees isn't cold, but MAN is it a change to what we've had recently.

It was a little change in thinking when I was trying to explain to Trevor how mini golf works. He thought I had forgotten his clubs until I told him that he gets a putter there. Then he was worried they didn't have one in his size. I assured him they would, as well as balls to pick from. He picked out an orange one for himself and a yellow one for me.

When he saw the holes, he knew what to do. He even knew that the brown colored area meant to be sand. We didn't keep track of score, although I did get a hole in one on one. I also put my ball in the pond/water area. But Trevor was the first one to do that, and he started to run back to the check-in place to get another one before he understood that we could see the ball and get it out of the pond. But even then, I was surprised he didn't want to keep putting his ball in the water. He kept it out pretty well!

Then of course they had a hole where you put it into a hole and it comes out at another place. He was very confused at first by this. But when I told him to wait by the hole while I hit and he saw how it came out of the hole. Then he wanted to do it again. All the while we were playing there was only one group that was in front of us, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. So he was able to play that hole again.

When we came to the last hole, I told him that we wouldn't be able to get the ball back because it went to the front when it was done. But still, he hit it into the hole, and went to look for it back at the other hole where the ball came out of the hole. I tried to explain it to him, but he couldn't grasp it. The kid that checked us in told him that it went into a bucket near the hole. I found the locked area and pointed to it. Still didn't help. So the kid asked if he wanted to see it. Of course he did! He opened it, and he saw a few balls in the basket. The kid allowed him to putt his ball in the hole again, except that it went too quick into the basket so he didn't see it. Then he told him to wait while he put it in the hole. Then he got it. He saw it and of course wanted to do it a few more times, but that was good enough. He turned in his putter and started talking about who won. Of course I had to explain that he wanted a low score instead of "Mommy, I got 11, you got 1". But once he got that, he still said he won.

Gwen was able to be entertained by food and being in her stroller. It was a new place and it was cool to watch the bright colored balls rolling around. So she made it almost the entire way.

It was a fun time for everyone!

No comments: