Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Always a new Christmas Spirit

Obviously with each passing year, the kids pick up on different things about our Christmas traditions. I bring up a big pile of movies, CDs, and books related to snow and Christmas. And now when it gets brought upstairs, I get to watch Trevor's mind remember about what they are all about. I also can start to see where I need to fill in the gaps when he can't piece together things about Santa or a story he thinks he remembers from last year.

Funny thing is, he still remembers when two years ago, we showed him the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and at the very beginning, there is a Cat in the Hat that raises and lowers his eyebrows. Two years ago, he was afraid of it, for whatever reason. He would hide behind the couch until it was done. Last year, he was proudly telling everyone he was not afraid of it anymore. And again this year, we just watched it tonight and he is still proud of that fact. But we won't mention that there is a scene in the live action version of The Grinch that he is afraid of. And even hiding behind the couch if need be.

I get the added benefit of using Santa in my bargaining tactics for the next few weeks. However, I think I mistakenly told him about the thought that Santa can decide you were not nice this year and put a lump of coal in your stocking. Now when he gets mad at his parents, daddy gets a lump of coal and I've already gotten a whole bag full of coal. THANKS Trevor.

Another new thing, now that Trevor is really on the verge of reading, he follows along with the story, and asks a lot of questions about words that he and I read. Tonight we were reading the Grinch and he asked me about the phrase, "He liked least of all." He asked me to explain how you could like something but get the impression that he didn't like it. He didn't agree that the word "like" should be anywhere in that sentence. So I had to explain the definition of least. Then I think he got it. The other word was chimbly. He told me the word was chimney - until I pointed it out, and said that the author was trying to be funny because it was a rhyming book and he had to rhyme with "nimbly".

Through watching him this year, I think I've decided that this year might end up being the best Christmas for him. He has yet to really get into the commercial side of wanting gifts. I think he senses that he is supposed to want something, but really doesn't care about anything enough to want it. He is much more interested in the spirit as well as celebrating the birth of Jesus. He gets a lot of time to talk about that as well through preschool. I am guessing this is going to change when he gets to Kindergarten next year. He might see things other kids have that he wants, or be more influenced by the older siblings of his friends that want things. And I'm guessing it also will cause Gwen to grow up faster while watching her brother want and ask for things.

So anyway, I'm trying to not put so much pressure on getting him things I think he might like and just trying to make sure he enjoys the season. It is over pretty quick, so I think my time would best be spent enjoying it as much as possible. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: