Friday, December 12, 2008

Conversations with the kids

It might not exactly be a conversation when it comes to Gwen, but the other day, I was really excited when I knew what she was talking to me about.

It was a few days ago, I had ordered a stocking for Gwen for Christmas to sort of match the rest of us. We have plush head stockings of Pooh (mine), Tigger (Trevor), and Eeyore (Russ). I looked for Piglet, but I only found one on ebay that was going for a pretty penny and shipping from England. So instead I decided to get one from TRU of Elmo instead. She likes Elmo better anyway.

It came in a package and I put it up after she had taken a nap one day. Trevor had not taken his yet so I was happy to see that he seemed to approve. I'm pretty sure he gets how much she likes elmo. But when she came down from her nap, right away she didn't notice it. I had went to get her a snack before dinner and as she was walking with me she saw it. I heard her say ELMO! Then she said "Blankie Elmo". She has been talking about her blankies that she sleeps with when she wakes up in the morning. One of them is a blanket pal bear that I can see how she would think looks like this stocking Elmo. But without even seeing what she was doing, I knew exactly what she was doing and looking at. I took it off of the stocking holder and she cuddled with it for a while. It was pretty cute.

Then yesterday with Trevor: We had been to swimming lessons and then went to the nearby McD's for lunch. It is the one in Edina that has the "world's only pneumatic drive-thru". Simply put it has a station removed from the restaurant where they have to - like a bank teller - send your order of food through a pneumatic tube. They have people manning the station, to fill drinks and take money. Anyway, I had been talking to him about it and how it works because one time when we were there, I think the tube wasn't working because they had people pull up to the front of the restaurant and a worker would come out and give you your food.

So he was doing his questions about the time we were there and it wasn't working. And I was explaining it to him again. Then he asked me, "Mom, how old do I have to be before I can work at McDonald's?" Remembering back to when a few friends were working there, I told him he had to at least be 14. But that most people don't start working until they are 16 because that is hold old you have to be before you can drive. And when you want to work somewhere it is probably a good idea to be able to drive yourself to work. Trevor then stated to me, "Mom, I don't want to learn how to drive, I want you to drive me when I'm 16 because you are an EXCELLENT driver." I tried to explain to him that probably by the time he was 16 he would change his mind, but he quickly said that when he has tried to drive (in the driveway with the car off) he just "doesn't know how to do it, I keep turning the wheel back and forth and back and forth."

Between working at McD's and learning how to drive, it will be interesting to see how things change. I am really surprised that he isn't already interested in driving based on his love of Nascar and Cars. But oh well. I'll keep him innocent as long as I can.

No comments: