Sunday, December 7, 2008

Final decorations are up!

Friday night, we all went to the tree lot to pick out our Christmas tree. Turns out Trevor knew right away. It was reasonably in the front, as you walked in. I was hoping for something slightly taller, but when I looked around, I didn't see anything better. It is a very round tree. I like those the best. It fills up the corner nicely.

Of course when we brought it home, Trevor thought we should decorate it right away. We had to let it open up and drink some water, I tell him. We didn't even get home until close to bedtime anyway. And when we got up on Saturday morning, he knew that was the day the decorations would go up. I again forget to inform him of one other thing we needed to do in order to be able to put the decorations on. We need the angel and lights on. FINALLY we are able to be ready enough to put the decorations out.

So I'm ready for the fun to begin with the kids. I know Gwen has no idea....and I know Trevor gets it a little bit more. So Trevor begins to find the ornaments. He had already found a package of ships from Star Wars that were ornaments. He took out the X-wing and has been playing around with it. So he found the Luke, got out the Darth Vader that is supposed to "talk" but doesn't now due to us getting LED lights for the tree, and began dueling on the couch. Every few minutes I'd remind him about more ornaments, and he took them and added them to the collection. Yoda, even the rest of the ships, Lightning McQueen, Mater, Thomas, and Percy are all in this reenactment on the couch while we finish decorating the tree. For some reason, he didn't even want me to put the Mickey Mouse ears that we had been getting from the advent calendar that are supposed to be hung on the tree every day.

So I have this video of Gwen talking to the tree, looking at the lights, taking down any low-hanging ornaments to play with, and Trevor - on the couch - playing with the ornaments. *Sigh* Maybe next year. And I guess I shouldn't complain. He is very excited about getting out these ornaments....he just wants to play with them again. Not put them on the tree.

And a funny side note....I always replace the ornaments that Gwen takes off of the lower branches so she can go through and take them off again. Well, Trevor saw her take one off, and while I told him that it was ok, she just wanted to play with them, he said, "No Gwen, the tree ornaments are NOT for playing with."

I gently said to Trevor, "What do you mean they aren't for playing with? You have almost an entire table full of ornaments that you are playing with."

The look of realization that came over his face was priceless. He didn't really say anything, but he gave the ornament back to Gwen to have her fun with. Merry Christmas Trevor!

No comments: