Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 4 - The park formerly known as MGM

I still cannot place exactly how many times I have been to the Disney Hollywood Studios (I knew it as MGM). I had thought the first time I had ever been was with the Johnson's in 1999. But I think that was the first time the Rockin' Roller Coaster was open, but I had been to the park before that. I remember being in a house right near the Swan and Dolphin hotels, and taking a bus to the parks. The only reason this popped into my mind was because I was pretty sure I have seen the Muppet 3D show at least twice on two different occasions, but I know it wasn't when we were staying at the Polynesian in 1989.

So the day started off way early with Gwen waking everyone up before the sun. We ate breakfast from the groceries that I had bought and delivered to the room before we arrived. When we got to the park, it was in time to be the first group through the park. The rope drop ceremony was just getting done. We headed right to the newest ride called "Toy Story Mania". It is a 3D game where you pull a gun-type toy to shoot out different things in order to get points. Of course this was everyone's idea that was entering the park.

Gwen was introduced to the MC of the waiting area - Mr. Potato Head (who Gwen calls Ta-Dough) and FINALLY Trevor was not in the least bit scared. Probably because it was so bright and cheerful. I was really impressed. The ride made me jump at least 3 times because it would shoot a blast of air at you if you shot off a rocket right by you, or sprayed you with a little water if you popped a water balloon.

After we got off the ride, we got fast passes for the afternoon. We then headed over to the Little Mermaid show. It was a good performance, and Trevor said he really liked it. Gwen was trying to fall asleep at this point, but the show kept her awake.

We moved over to the Jedi Training Academy where I knew that they picked kids out of the audience to "train to become a Jedi". While he probably would have been picked if he had seemed interested, he was a little unsure about what was going on. So he watched the first show. After that, of course, he wanted to be part of the show. We came back for two other shows that day, but he didn't get picked. Of course that meant that we were going to have to try again another day. It was obvious he is meant for stuff like this.

Then we went to the Muppet 3D show, and nearby to Pizza Planet for lunch. Before the Muppet Show, the kids got a treat of ice cream sandwiches (it was FINALLY warm enough) so I'm not sure if Trevor wasn't a fan of the pizza or was full from the ice cream but he didn't eat much of his pizza. Gwen ate all of hers.

We went back to the hotel for a short break, and Gwen slept for the entire time in her stroller. As we headed back for our fast pass rides of Toy Story Mania, we ran into part of the parade. Gwen got to see her favorite "ack-ie" (Mike Wazowski) and Trevor got to see most of the parade as it went backwards. So we rode Toy Story Mania, did another few Star Wars Jedi Training and then found a few characters to take their picture with. We did leave a few things for our other day we are going to be there. It also might be our day for swimming at the hotel. We have a character breakfast that morning so I'm not sure how early we can be there. We opted out of the Fantasmic show based on how well the kids sit still when they have to wait for the show to start.

Hopefully we'll get a little more sleep tonight!

No comments: