Friday, February 27, 2009

The newest obsession

Granted, it isn't a real obsession yet. But I think a lot of things have come together to bring about something else that he's interested in. We had a playdate at Trevor's friend Sam's house and Trevor got to see toys he has never seen before. Sam seems to be really into dinosaurs right now so that was one of the main toys that was out for the kids to play with. Trevor got into it and asked questions about which was what dinosaur and such.

Then last night, Russ flipped on the History Channel and it was a special about the meteor that hit the earth and destroyed the dinosaurs. I'm guessing that part of the draw was the destruction that Trevor seems to be interested in. He noticed that they were talking about how all the dinosaurs were unaware (or were they) of their impending doom. He asked about the timeline of it all....where were people....etc. I don't remember if it said on the show or if Russ answered the question, but he understood that after the dinosaurs died off, then the fish survived, followed by humans. Of course he also wanted to know if another meteor was going to come and kill all the people.

So since watching these shows on the History Channel, he has wanted to play dinosaurs, asked a lot of questions about what he learned about, and is now watching the Land Before Time. He has even put a lot of it together. He asked if "sharptooth" on Land Before Time is the same thing as a T-Rex. He asked what do Littlefoot and Cera eat. And on and on it goes.

On a different note, Gwen has been steadily increasing the foods she eats. I probably should let her try more than she has been doing, but she has been pretty good about asking for anything she sees. She has actually asked for a cheeseburger from McD's and eaten most of it rather than sticking with french fries. She will eat a few spoonfuls of spaghetti, likes yogurt, even mine. She really wanted my oatmeal one morning, and thinking that like Trevor, she wouldn't like it, I gave her a small spoonful. Ever since then, if I'm having oatmeal, I have to make sure she doesn't see it, or she will eat as much of it as I'll let her. I guess I'll be giving her her own bowl full soon.

She has also discovered fruit, and really there isn't much she won't eat. Bananas, apples, pears, grapes....she hasn't liked oranges much, but she will drink a little OJ in the morning. I guess what it comes down to is that I'm going to hold out hope that she will be a not-so-picky eater. She isn't at the stage yet where she is very patient when she is hungry, but I've been trying to avoid her being hungry as much as possible.

And that's our story for the week. I'm sure next week we will be on to something new......

No comments: