Sunday, September 9, 2007

I guess I can read minds ;-)

I've always been able to sense what other people are thinking/feeling to a certain degree. Specifically people that I'm close to, not strangers on the street or anything. But really, it has come in handy A LOT with Trevor. Some of that has to do with the fact that he and I have a lot of the same personality traits, so I can get what he is thinking even without him saying anything.

Now I'm not perfect, especially if he was with someone else and he is telling me what happened. If I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened, but he's pretty good at expressing what he wants.

There have been a few examples of this recently. One was when we were at McD's. Unfortunately, I have learned that being this pregnant, Trevor knows he can quickly run away from me and get away without me being able to catch him. So we were finishing up, getting ready to leave, when I KNEW he was going to take off. I even stopped him and said, wait for me to hold my hand. I had to throw away the garbage. As I was walking to throw it away, he took off for the main entrance. I quickly scooted out the side exit and got to the front door before he could get out and into the street. I caught him just as a car was coming down that part of the road. No, the cars don't go fast at that point, but still....I KNEW he was going to run into the street, and unless I have a death grip on him, he wants to do what he wants to do.

Another time, we were driving up to "Grandma's" house and looking at the watertowers we were passing by. One of the ones was in a town called New Hope. He quickly asked if New Hope was like on "Star Wars". For those of you that aren't familiar - Star Wars Episode IV is titled "A New Hope". Trevor and Russ were playing a Star Wars Lego game on Nintendo where they had the story scrolling on the screen like they do in the movies. So Russ would read about "A New Hope" and Trevor thinks its pretty cool that New Hope is just like on Star Wars ;-)

And most recently, we have been talking A LOT about the new baby. Actually, a lot about when things happen. Specifically birthdays and such. But there are lot of things going on in September. So we've been talking about how Trevor starts school, Amy, Brian, and the new baby's birthday is in September (at least I hope so).... So through these talks, Trevor has always said that he first goes to school, then it's Amy's birthday, then the baby is coming. I don't ever remember saying that the baby would come after Amy's birthday, but I couldn't say for sure it would or wouldn't.

Well, Friday evening we went up to Grandma's house, and celebrated Amy's birthday. Immediately after we sung happy birthday, Trevor got very scared that the baby was RIGHT THEN going to come out, and he was going to have to watch. I knew exactly why he was scared and tried to calm him down. While we have brought Trevor to a few of my dr. appts he has always been really afraid whenever the doctor has gotten too close to me. We play doctor a lot with Dr. Trevor listening to the baby's heartbeat, but that's as far as he wants to go. He's not actually afraid of having a baby around, it's the actual act of me HAVING a baby. Thank goodness I haven't wanted to have Trevor in the delivery room with me. If it comes to it, I would much rather Russ and Trevor wait outside and me be by myself than put Trevor through that trauma.

Anyway, it really is nice to have a child I'm so connected with. It also makes it easy for me to tell if he really isn't sure about something, or if he is answering the best way he knows how. I can see it and feel it in his eyes. The goofball. I'll be sad when he grows to the point of not being around me as much. He is such a cool kid.

No comments: