Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Starting to read

Another thing I've noticed lately, is that I think the concept of putting letters together to make words is finally sinking in. A LOT of it is simply remembering colors and symbols together with letters that make specific words (Like McD's, Target, Stop on a Stop sign, etc.) but we were at a restaurant Friday night and trying out making letters into words.


It is pretty cute, and a very proud mommy moment. It's not even so much that he gets things correct, it's that he tries, based on what he knows things to "sound" like. Some of them then jog his memory into a word he knows, and some just stay a little different sounding than the word that they are. The one that he really worked at was "Buzz". It sounded just like it was supposed to, but with two "Z" sounds at the end.


He is still "reading" his books by memory, but I'm pretty sure he's going to start putting that together too. And he also likes to play the game with me of "what does this spell?" But this is just another reason why I think preschool has started at a great time for him. Not that they even introduce any sort of words/reading, but I know they teach things, and he just seems ready to learn.

Speaking of preschool, yesterday was the first true day of school. I will post the first day of school picture in a little bit. Nothing too big to speak of. I think a lot of their day is playing with toys and each other until they establish rules and schedules with the kids. But Trevor was already asking when he can go back, so I think he's very happy to be there.

No comments: