Monday, October 15, 2007

What a weekend

Well, lots has happened since the last post. Gwen had her doctor visit on Friday. Stupid mommy forgot that if you feed the baby just prior to the appointment, you can pack on a few extra oz. So when they weighed her, she was on a completely empty stomach, and just barely made the cut-off for acceptable weight gain since the last weigh-in.

So far she has weighed: 8lbs 12oz at birth, 8lbs 4oz at hospital discharge, 8lbs even for the home visit, and she weighed 8lbs 2oz at the doctor visit. They let me feed her, and after the feeding she weighed 8lbs 3oz which means she is getting food when she eats. Thank goodness. However, they wanted me to come back on Tuesday to make sure she is gaining enough weight.

And then that night, she had a big fit. I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner, as it happened with Trevor too. They go through growth spurts, and I can't quite keep up with them. So Saturday night, we bought some formula and gave her some this weekend, to make sure she was getting enough to eat. She didn't sleep much better last night or Saturday night, but I feel better that I could catch up and still feed her today.

So today was the first day all by myself. I was very nervous, but I did what I wanted - trying to keep myself busy. I was able to do 3 loads of laundry, make breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and even get a half hour of quiet time for myself to lay down on the couch. Gwen could have slept better, but I also know that that time will come. She will eventually grow into a nap schedule, and a feeding schedule. For now I'm just happy with the mini-victory I had today where she did not scream for more than 20 seconds and usually when it was time to eat.

I was able to play with Trevor for a few minutes. Not enough time in my book, but given everything that is going on in our family, he is doing AWESOME. I know that preschool has come at the perfect time to distract him and give him something that we can talk about.

So anyway, that was the weekend and day in a nutshell. I'm not expecting anything like today again for at least a few weeks. But I also know that in the next few days I'll have some help with family stopping by too. So if it does get crazy again, I can still have a few minutes break somewhere in there.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Krissy, sounds like everything is going really well! I, too, forgot about the feed-before-weighing thing at Lyla's last appointment, and she was about 20 minutes shy of needing to be fed. It can really make a difference! So glad that T is doing so well with it all - what a great big brother!

Erika said...

WTG on getting through a day on your own with 2 kids! It's all about not having too many expectations and taking it one half hour at a time!