Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer camp week 2

Last week was Vacation Bible School at the church where Trevor had preschool. There were a lot of his preschool classmates in the same class or at least the same group. Even his teacher was a helper for some of the activities. Trevor did a VBS last year at a different church that he did well, but I know he wasn't very happy with their overhead speaker system. They always had group songs at the beginning and end and when I saw him, he was always covering his ears. So when I left him on Monday, the same thing happened.

The theme this year was SonWorld Adventure Park. So everything they learned was framed in an amusement park feel. There were tickets to play games, you would win prizes, make art projects to take home and even their snacks were park themed. They had popcorn, corn dogs, and nachos that I can remember. Now while the art projects were nothing compared to the first week, he was more entertained by teaching me what he learned and playing like he did for preschool. I have to answer questions and he has to teach me so that I can learn what he did.

Thursday evening was family night. They had some amusement-type games and a bouncy house. Also, they had cotton candy, popcorn, and lemonade for snacks. Then they put on their show to sing the songs they learned during the week. As always, Trevor knew the words and actions very well. I had tried to have him listen to these songs before camp because they wanted the kids to get used to the songs, but he wasn't interested. I bet he'd love to listen to it now.

There was a little "incident" during the show. Of course Trevor and Elizabeth were their usual silly selves....picking on each other, tickling, standing in each other's way....and there wasn't anything I could do about it. The noise was so loud, he couldn't hear me if he wanted to. But suddenly, they both started walking through the older kids. So Jen and I lost them. I started to go around to the other side of the group, but I never saw them come out. Of course there were little rooms where they could hide if they wanted to. So as soon as the concert was done, we went looking for them. What happened was that they got out and in front of one of the adult helpers and then went back to their seats before we saw them.

Now that may not seem like a big deal, and in reality it wasn't. But these two kids....I tell you. When they get older, we are REALLY going to have to keep an eye on them. YIKES.

So this week is Gymnastics camp. I was telling Trevor about it, and he is still a little confused. This is the last place we are going where he will be unfamiliar with his surroundings. He was asking me if it was going to be loud like last week. I told him there would be no singing at this one. Just playing Gymnastics. But he also asked if I could come with him. I know this isn't because he is afraid of being without me, he just isn't sure what is going to happen. And sometimes parents stay to help out. But not with Gymnastics. I really don't think they want an inflexible, not usually exercising, 30-year old, two kids later mom helping them out.

Ok...I will have one more update to last week soon. Then it's on to this week activities. I'm SO behind with everything lately. It was a rough week last week.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Wow, and I thought your school year was busy!! My goodness! You're quite the organizer of activities for T. How fun for him - I can't wait to hear about gymnastics!