Friday, November 14, 2008

Event filled week

This week, Trevor was the star at preschool. Gwen got her top two teeth. We went to a local thrift store for their half off sale. The family got a huge chunk of a new wardrobe. We are starting to plan for Thanksgiving, Trevor's birthday, and the following crazy few weeks before Christmas!

Gwen has been waking up earlier each day even after going to bed later than the previous night. I know the trend will reverse soon, but it is hard when you are trying to do a handful of things before going to bed yourself, hoping to get a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning. NOPE.

For Veteran's day, a local thrift store had it's 50% off sale. On top of really low prices, everything was 50% off what was marked. So we got a few books, a larger toy for Gwen, and another floor chair (this one is Thomas) for Trevor. I meant to go look at the clothes, but that area is always packed. But the kids were very happy to see that they each got something new to play with, and if we have to get rid of either of the bigger items, I know they didn't cost much of anything. I walked out paying $9.08.

Yesterday, Old Navy (and its sister companies) had a big sale. We all needed some kind of clothes. So we all got clothes. We got Trevor a few warmer shirts, and as he was trying them on, he liked one so much, he didn't want to take it off. Not only that, but he wanted to wear it to preschool today. I MAYBE could have seen this if it were a character shirt. But this was simply a green and cream striped shirt. It did make me feel good that he liked it. I have to admit.

But that was what I had to do last night. Wash and dry all the new clothes that we got so we could wear them today. Unbeknownst to everyone (until now that is...) we all had on brand new clothes. The shape of the day was stars, the letter of the day was S, and the colors of the day were purple and brown. We had packed the toys that we were going to talk about at class the night before so we were all ready to go today. Of course unpacking the toys led to a few surprises. And then, after explaining all the toys (including a pumpkin light that he had snuck into the bag), it was clear that he didn't want to stop being the center of attention. So he started talking about his shirt. Thankfully, it was "s"triped so at least it appeared as though he wanted to talk about it because it was part of his star sharing.

I stayed to help with the preschool class after we were done. It appeared as though the teachers were surprised but very thankful as I was put to work with a little craft project set-up that they needed help with. I got to use a hot glue gun! Unfortunately, I'm not exactly crafty so although I know how to use one, I'm not very skilled. I burned myself a few times, but I still did the requested task and it took almost the entire time I was there. Sounded like it helped the teachers out a lot. It was also cool to watch Trevor and the other kids interact and run around. They were also practicing their Christmas program songs and poems. They practiced singing loud enough so that I could hear them. I was on the other side of the room and most of the kids thought it was so funny to watch to see if I could tell what they were saying. I gave them a "good job, I could hear you." And most of them were pretty excited.

So here we go....13 days and counting until Thanksgiving! Not to mention another important date. I suppose we should get a turkey huh? I'm usually a bit more ahead of things when it comes to food preparation.

No comments: