Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lots to learn

So we went to visit Kindergarten yesterday. Our family and one other mom were the only ones having the tour that night. So Trevor got the full attention of the principal. It was a very cool site. Although we have been to the school's playground many times, we had yet to actually go into the building.

The school had been through a remodel 6 years ago, so when you walk into the main entrance, it is very bright and well lit, even though we were there after dark. Trevor's comment as we walked in was that he was surprised they had a library. And seeing as how he is loving all our books lately, it won him over immediately.

We saw a Kindergarten classroom, the computer lab, the library, the gym, the cafeteria, a 4th grade classroom, a 2nd grade classroom, and the music classroom. Trevor loved pretty much every new thing he saw. I know it helps him imagine what it would be like when he goes there.

It was interesting to me to compare my experience at my Elementary school from way back when. Now I don't know if I am remembering correctly or not. I guess I could go check my yearbooks. I thought we had close to 30 kids in our classes each year. I want to say around 27 or so. We had 3 classes from 1st through 6th grade. So around 90 kids in each grade. At this elementary school, their average class size is 20 with the exception of kindergarten which is 22. That year their full day class was at capacity of 22 and their morning half day was 19, afternoon was 17.

That was another thing I'm going to have to look into. They do offer full-day K, but I had thought that it might be too much for Trevor. I think going from 3 days a week to 5 will be a big energy change for him. That's another thing, I looked at the district's elementary start times, and this one starts the latest and goes the latest. From 9:00 to 3:20. But half day morning time is the exact same time as preschool. 9:00 to 11:30. I guess my only concern about all day vs. half day is that he'll somehow be behind if he isn't in the full day option.

Another thing that I learned is that they will be doing a K screening in the next spring. So first we have to go to the round-up which is late January, and then the screening. But I now have Trevor talking about it, and getting excited about it, which is the goal. Granted, I think I'm going to have to prepare myself a lot more than I thought I would. Letting him go is going to be a big deal for me next year. I can already tell.

No comments: