Friday, November 28, 2008

It really was 5 years ago yesterday....

We spent our Thanksgiving dinner in the hospital. We were very thankful to be doing so. And now 5 years later, his birthday is on Thanksgiving again! I have to admit, the preparation for hosting a Thanksgiving as well as a 5 year old's birthday party is a bit much more than I was expecting. I then thought how difficult it must be for my family to have had to do it on Christmas every year. But then I remembered that they never had to host a houseful of people on Christmas. However, they did have to prepare for a total of 3 kids' Christmases.

Anyway, I do feel like I jipped Trevor a little bit out of a full-fledged party. I meant to pick up some balloons for him as well as some more party decorations. But we probably made up for it in the quantity of gifts he got. LOTS of Star Wars stuff. Some other fun stuff too, but it was a Star Wars theme to a lot of the gifts.

One of the biggest things that I don't know that he'll get for a while is that he does not believe he is a year older until he blows out his candle on the cake. He was born at 8:41 am, and we have a keepsake engraved with that time on it. I tried to explain it saying that he was now 5 years old, but he would not hear of it. It must be a sort of struggle to a boy who is in the midst of learning about growing up and such. I have been talking about all the fun things he is going to be able to do now that he is 5....Kindergarten being the biggest deal. And we even talked about all the fun stuff he did when he was 4....the trips he took, playing T-ball with his friends. So it has been a fun and challenging year for mom and I'd say it was the same for Trevor. He had to deal with a new sibling for the first time as well as his sibling developing into a little girl that can get into his stuff and yet not have the capacity to understand what she is doing.

In the end, the party was a good one, Trevor got a lot of attention by his extended family, and we even got to play a rousing game of dominoes! I almost won...and actually, so did the newbie Amy. But Kevin got the best of us both. Mario will get you next time!!!!

No comments: