Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I do love reunions

You know, I hadn't ever really thought about it, but showers are a lot like reunions. Especially when you can't see some family members on a regular basis. I was able to take part in organizing a wedding shower for the upcoming wedding of my brother to my future sister-in-law. We asked all of our girl (or women...oops) cousins, aunts, and grandmas to come if they could attend and for the most part they did! While a lot of these same people we will be seeing at the wedding in a few months, I know how crazy things get and how little you get to visit with all of the guests. So this was a chance to spend a little more time with this select group of people to see how they have been doing.

Although Trevor couldn't attend the shower (since it was just a girl party) he was still able to play with Ellie, and he met my cousins' daughters Ally and Maddy who are almost 9 and almost 8. Now he does enjoy playing with the younger kids, but he always finds the older kids to try to let them play with him. So he attached himself whenever they were around. I can tell that going to Kindergarten next year is really going to give him some perspective on how old he really is. I don't know if he ever asked the girls how old they were, or maybe he sensed the fact that they were older than he was by their height, but he quickly learned that they would not do whatever he asked them to do...granted that didn't stop him from trying.

I think he was happy that they even let him hang out with them. I saw them let him play darts and Foosball with them and he was happy as a clam. We were able to rent out the old store and museum of Hatfield and they turned it into a nice 5 bedroom house that the guests were able to use for the shower and places to sleep. I was a little worried about the space being ok for Gwen because there were two sets of stairs, but for the most part, she stayed away from the big stairs and learned how to go up and down the smaller steps very well.

This place not only had board games, pool, Foosball, and darts, but it also had a big screen TV, a satellite dish and a few cupboards full of movies. So everyone was entertained for a good portion of the day and night. We stayed until later at night to play a game of Trival Pursuit...just like old times. I still am not good at that game. If I ever learned anything in school, I never retained it. Oh well. I think everyone had a good time and hopefully the future family member wasn't too scared off by our crazy antics!

No comments: