Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thank goodness being bad isn't all that bad

The day started out better than I expected from Trevor. Gwen was actually the one that had the difficult morning. Trevor got out a game that had a lot of pieces that Gwen shouldn't put in her mouth, which is what she wants to do. So when I asked Trevor to put it away, he didn't have time, and as soon as I turned my back, Gwen had climbed up to the table and started putting the pieces into her mouth. So as soon as I took her down she threw a fit.

Surprisingly, Trevor I guess must have decided that Gwen was enough for me to handle this morning, because he decided to get ready to go without any problems. So I was very happy about how the day was going. Gwen had her gym class so I knew she would have fun doing that.

We went to pick Trevor up at preschool and because of Trevor's bad behavior, I have told him that we won't be staying after preschool to play on their playground. So when I went into his classroom to pick him up he asked me if we were playing outside. I told him that we were not. I had even parked the car as close to the door as possible. So when we got outside, he asked me again if we were playing outside. I said no again and opened his door. At which time, he ran for the playground. So I walked over to the playground, and brought him back to the car. By this time he had lost all of his nascars. I started counting as to how many cars he would lose, but he lost all the way up to 12 and I knew he didn't have that many.

We got in the car, and he didn't seem phased by any of it. We came home and I went to get the Nascars, and he tried to block my path, but wasn't really upset by it. After dinner, we went upstairs to put clothes away, and Trevor and Gwen were playing in Trevor's room. I asked him to be gentle with her. After about 10 minutes, he had knocked her down with his pillow so I took that away and asked him to choose between playing nicely upstairs or going downstairs without us. He didn't like his choices so at that point he threw his fit. I put him downstairs, and while he did stay where he was asked to, if he knew how to swear, I'm pretty sure that was what he was trying to do at this point. He even resorted to trying to get Gwen to misbehave. He gave her a toy Twins' bat and told her to go hit me with it. I guess he didn't want to be in trouble by himself or something.

Then finally, when Gwen was in bed, it was Trevor's turn to head upstairs. Of course he had other things he wanted to do. I first told him to choose between me reading stories or him staying downstairs. He chose staying downstairs. Then because all of his Nascars were gone, I had to start counting the days he could not play Nintendo. We got up to 10 days. After he got dressed and ready for bed, then he started trying to negotiate stories back into the mix. Saying he couldn't go to sleep without them.

When I shut the door after saying that he needed to go to sleep, it was at that point that he said, "I LOST NINTENDO FOR 10 DAYS". And started to cry. And throw books against the door. I have a sneaking suspicion that he is feeling a little crazy based on everything that is going on. And I know I've probably not done my best to give him as much attention as I usually do, so he's acting out based on that.

And really, at least he doesn't even know the "bad words" to use to completely disrespect me yet, and I am very proud of myself to not once did I ever yell at him. He never got the best of me. And I explained very clearly that I still loved him, but that he was not making the best decisions that day. And I know that being consistent will help him make the decision for himself because he will clearly understand what happens when he makes poor decisions. But MAN....I didn't see the attitude coming already. And I am glad that what a 5 1/2 year old thinks is bad, isn't all that horrible compared to a teenager, and hopefully I can be prepared and set the standard for those years coming up. I guess we'll see.

No comments: