Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I went on an adventure!

For my family members....and to Brian....I hope I don't ruin your own blog by posting this. Disclaimer that I was only a spectator to this whole contest and I hope he gives you a real insider view.

So Tuesday was the premiere night for Brian's (and crew) 48 hour film project. It was a perfect movie-watching night because it was rainy and dreary. Brian and I had planned on meeting at a nearby restaurant/bar for dinner beforehand, but the weather was so bad and causing such traffic issues that I left an hour and a half before showtime and while sitting in traffic I was very concerned that I wouldn't make it in time.

Also, while I was sitting in traffic, the car started to overheat. The warning light came on and it hit the highest temperature that it would read. So I was scared to even pull over and stop because I didn't know if the car would start again. Remembering back to my driver's training days, I knew that if I wanted to help the temperature, I should turn on the heat. So I cracked the windows (think rain pouring down now) and blasted the heat. Thank goodness it did work, however now I was dripping sweat. I guess I got my wish that I wanted to be hot hot hot!

I survived that ordeal to make it to meet Brian to get my ticket before entering the premiere. I met some of the fellow project people and then we went in to get some snacks and our seats. This showing was 13 of the 92 (I believe) Minneapolis projects. We were handed a voting ballot so that we could vote on our top 3 favorites. We then could also see the different genre's of movies that everyone submitted. Brian's film was horror and they were up first. For those that don't know...their project was to complete a 4-7 minute film in 48 hours. They drew genre's out of a hat, and had to have 3 elements in their film. 1) A character named Kevin or Kathleen Schnable, 2) a sandwich (as a prop), and 3) a line of dialogue being, "I hope they decide soon". It was interesting to see all the ways that these groups incorporated the elements into their films.

I, of course, was also paying close attention to the sound in all of the films. Brian did a stellar job on his own project, and I was amazed at the quality of the others. They ranged from crazy-feedback-type-sound to Hollywood movie quality.

So the different genre's were very long stretching....Brian's group was horror. They used a great location to give it that "scary" feel. The next was Drama....I have to say....high school students could have done a better job writing the script. Woman enters restaurant, breaks up with fiancee, and leaves with the guy she cheated on her fiancee with. One of my favorites was the romance genre....it was about a couple that meets and then finds out that they are cousins and wonders if they should continue "dating" or what have you. It was funny and well timed. Another one that was silly....unintentionally...or maybe not was the foreign film. They used German as the foreign language, but only used a first level amount of German. "Ja" was used a lot. And last, I have to mention that there was a "Ghost" genre that everyone was talking about. It was a BAD movie for me to see because it involved a young boy, his younger sister and a gun. I'll stop there. Of course you could argue this had to be a "good" movie if it made me disturbed, because that was its intention. But really? For me? I was very close to walking out of the theater, because I could predict what it was doing and was not happy about it.

Anyway, the shows concluded, we voted and met up with the crew again to meet at the after party. Turns out, no one notified the cafe that there was to be an after party, so when everyone got there, no one could get in. There were a few workers cleaning up, but no one to answer the people outside looking in.

So instead we headed back to my neck of the woods to have a little dinner and chat. It was just Brian and I, so we had a nice chat....something I haven't really done much of since turning into an adult as I have realized since Kevin's wedding planning days. It was interesting to hear about everything that went into the planning and execution of the movie and what would be next for them.

So overall....a new experience and a bit of an adventure for me. Congratulations to Brian....it was super cool to see your name on the big screen! I hope this is the first of many and maybe next time even an award or two to go along with it!

No comments: