Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm a PTA mom!

So this week, I attended Trevor's school's PTA meeting. I have to say it felt a little strange. My mom attended the elementary PTA meetings, although I'm not sure how many she attended in Jr. High and beyond. I felt almost like "I belong more with the kids than I do with the mom's." Simply because I knew a few of the moms from morning drop off. Yes, they did sit around each other, and talk to each other. But I was ok with that. It was the first meeting of the year, and the group was happy to see so many Kindergarten parents there.

Counting the group, I'd have to say there were about 30 or so parents. I figured there would be more, but I had no idea either. A lot of the parents had kids in the 4-5th grade, but also another one going to Kindergarten next year, or one in 1st grade too, so they would be there for a while.

It seems like a very efficient group, in that they only have meetings every other month, they have binders for any committee chair, and that they are very open to any suggestions, but I'm guessing there isn't much to have to improve upon. The principal of the school was there and talked for a lot of the meeting, but that is his style. He shares a lot of information and takes a lot of information back to his groups that he is involved in. It is very obvious he loves his job. However, one thing his is, is not short-winded. Trevor really likes him, and tries to say hi to him anytime he sees him. I think if they both had the floor to speak, it would be interesting to hear what was said.

Anyway, I want to sit this year out, as far as being any big volunteer of any committee, but perhaps sometime in the future I can do something more. Maybe Treasurer? That sure would be fun. I am looking forward to trying to shift my own way of thinking. I CAN be a member of PTA....not my mom. And bring on the activities! I feel organized enough to be able to handle it!

No comments: