Saturday, September 12, 2009

Trevor's first week at school

I wish I could say it was awesome. I wish I could say that he didn't have any issues, and that he is so confident and makes friends with everyone.

But if I'm honest, he's had a few issues. Nothing that I'm worried about, or reason for concern. His first day with me was fine. He was checking out the lay of the land, and maybe since I was there, he was well behaved. On a regular day, he has been having more issues than usual listening and behaving. He has his usual fights with Gwen and simply chooses not to listen to me if I ask him to do something.

So on Wednesday, part of it was misinformation that I gave Trevor about picking him up from school. But another part was Trevor deciding he knew better than the teacher what was going on and what he was supposed to do. He ran out of the room near the end of class saying that he was "done". After a lot of convincing by the teacher, he came back to walk with the kids up to the front of school, only to take off again to try to run out to the car.

I talked with both him and his teacher. To his teacher, I explained that he is going through an, "I'm bigger and better than everyone phase, and I know better than everyone as well." Also, that I would talk about the rules that they are teaching, and use some of the same ones. Specifically, be safe.

So on Thursday, I got a report that he had a wonderful day. He even told me how he helped one of the kids do an activity that they were doing. They were doing a fun "find the gingerbread man" game that introduced the kids to the school and the different people that work there.

Then on Friday, he had another issue. This time, he tried to explain his way out of standing up for the Pledge. And then, he wouldn't listen to his teacher, he started yelling at her. So now we are talking about "being respectful". When I picked him up from school, he was pretty upset because he thought I was going to be angry with him. But his teacher and I reassured him that it was only his 3rd day of Kindergarten. I said that that is why he goes to school. To learn how to act and to learn lots of new things.

After we got back home, Trevor was asking me about when he could see his old preschool teacher again. I think a lot of this transition is harder for Trevor than I thought it would be. He has a very small class, and not very many boys in his class. He knows one girl from preschool, but they didn't play much together in preschool. So for the most part, it's almost like we moved and he has had to change schools, and make all new friends. I'm not concerned, but I wish it were different. What mom wouldn't wish that her kid has a perfect time adjusting and is a little angel at school?

On a different note, Trevor was eating an apple for a snack and made one of his lower teeth pretty loose. Now, that is all he does...wiggle that tooth.

So now we just have to work on being as consistent as we can and wait out this development.....ah the joys of having a school kid.

No comments: