Friday, October 2, 2009

A mom volunteer

So this was the first week of Kindergarten where they asked for parent volunteers. It is a weekly thing called Friday Stations. I'm not sure if it is always the same thing, but I'm guessing a lot of it revolves around arts and crafts. So I took part, and their weekly topic this week was "apples". I helped out on two tables. Mostly I was in charge of the table that got to make 4 step pictures of how a seed turns into an apple. Then at another station, I helped the kids put cutouts of apples on a picture of themselves as if they were balancing them. Then they had to "count" the apples by drawing numbers from 1 to 10.

Another thing Trevor and I did outside of school is their weekly homework. Russ did his weekly homework with Trevor last week, but I knew this weekend was going to be crazy full of stuff which wouldn't leave a lot of time to do his homework.

So both at school and at home, I noticed something that I don't think I have before. Trevor is VERY careful when it comes to drawing things with a crayon, specifically working on drawing people. When I came into class this morning, he was finishing up the last page in one of his books that he brings home and puts into his book box. He was drawing himself with crayons. Most of the rest of the class had finished, but he was still working on his. Then when I was finished up with the stations, he was still working on his last station, which involved coloring a picture of himself at school. Then at home, for his homework, he had to draw a picture of things that started with the letter M. He choose a mummy and Mario. Both of which resemble humans. So it took him a while. But I didn't pressure him, and neither did the teacher at school. I think it's a good trait he picked up from Russ's side. I am always quick to finish my work. I hate dwelling on things because then I start to second guess myself, and will always talk myself out of the right way of doing things for me.

Anyway, just something interesting I have now learned. Not sure if it will stay with him or not. He does have a tendency to race and want to be the first done, so if there is something that sends him in that direction, hopefully it won't distract him from simply doing his best and continuing to do well.

No comments: