Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kentucky Derby

Whoops, it's been a week now. Where does that time go? Oh yeah. My daughter had been waking up so early and not napping enough to get anything else done. Of course here we are on a Saturday, and she napped twice for two hours each time. If she did that during the week, I would probably be able to take on a part-time job!

Anyway....the weekend at the cabin was nice, minus the yucky weather. But when hasn't it been bad weather. Golfing, the weekends...any time we would really like to get outside...totally worthless. And then I got a nice cold on Saturday...probably from the kids.

As always, it was wonderful to see the family. Gwen and Addie had some fun toy playing time together. Trevor got a lot of outside time even though it wasn't very nice. Kona was brought to the lake so Trevor had a playmate even when Ellie or JJ wasn't around.

We had exactly 20 people with 20 horses in the derby, so it worked out nicely. Trevor, Gwen and I all had longshot horses, and Russ had one of the top 3 favored horses, but Barb won it all. Lucky girl! I have heard from a few people that it was so "sad" about the 2nd place finisher. And while I do think it is unfortunate, it seems like it happens a lot. Now, I'm not a horse race person anyway, but I do try to catch all of the triple crown or until it is clear that one horse won't take the whole thing. And it was I think just two years ago when the winner of the Derby went on to break his leg and be euthanized (although it wasn't right at the race) because of an injury at one of the other races.

Gwen did really well in both car rides again, and I think we should now just leave her in the same seat as she normally sits in. We had been taking out her seat and putting her carseat in the back so that she could be right next to us. I can't wait until next year when she is forward facing so no one will have to move to the back seat with her!

So that's it in a nutshell.

No comments: