Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Children's Museum

This is going to probably be out of order, but I wanted to post about this before it completely left my memory.

Although it was spring break time, I decided to take the kids (with Bubba of course) to the Children's Museum today. Trevor has been over a handful of times, but hasn't been since they added the Clifford exhibit. I was excited to have Gwen have a turn looking around. But I wasn't all that excited to see how busy it was going to be given our timing.

Well, it was actually very decent. I'm guessing because it really is geared towards younger kids. They have the Science Museum up the street which is more for school-aged kids. I had been with my dad and brothers a lot growing up. Anyway....it wasn't dead by any means, but I thought it was just going to be crazy.

Trevor headed with my mom to the "our town" exhibit where you can play in a city bus, become a mailman, run a restaurant, shop or check-out someone in a grocery store, make your own music video, or visit a doctor's office. I took Gwen to the Habitot area which is designed for kids ages 6-48 months. This meant Trevor was too old for the area. I thought Gwen would enjoy it. It is just an enclosed area that has small stairs, some ramps, windows, "caves" but she was simply not interested. She walked up a few stairs then headed for the out area. My theory is that she saw the kids in the room, and knew she didn't want to be there. She wanted to be where the bigger kids were.

So I let her out of the room, and it was right next to the Clifford room. So that's where she headed. She recognized the big red dog, watched some of the music videos that were playing, colored on some pages, and then did a few more of the activities. The only way I could get her to move was to say we were going to see Bubba. So we went to the room that they were in, and again Gwen took right to doing whatever everyone else was doing. She found the grocery store, wanted to play with the cash register, started handing me the fake food....and it never really stopped. Trevor took his turn going up to the Clifford area before Gwen was ready to be done. She continued to check out the mail, the music room, and then back to the grocery store before I could convince her to finish and move on.

Trevor had moved into the earth room where they had things like an ant hill and a water area with plastic fish and frogs and such. Trevor enjoyed playing in the ant hill but I could tell without snacks, the kids were getting hungry. Did a quick McD lunch and then came back to the other room we had not yet been in. This is where Gwen got drenched. I had unfortunately not dressed her in correct sleeved clothing because she couldn't pull her sleeves high enough on her arms. The area the she could not get enough of was where they had water flowing from different tubes or spouts using ping pong balls to sometimes block or simply flow through the tubes.

She did look at the bubbles/soapy area, and the boat racing area, but she just loved the ping pong balls. At this time, she was getting pretty tired though because she had been going full-strength the entire time we had been there. I was at least happy knowing that Trevor had been able to get to all the rooms and do everything he wanted to. As we were leaving, he even got to color on his face.

As we got into the car, I knew Gwen was going to be out like a light even before we made it out of the parking ramp. And while that wasn't totally the case, we weren't even a block away from the parking ramp and she was out. Unfortunately, I couldn't transfer her into her crib before she was up for the day. So no nap for her. Oh well....if that was the worst thing that happened....and it was...I'd say it was a wonderful day.

No comments: