Friday, April 10, 2009

We missed out this time around

So we went to Gwen's 18 month check-up, even though I suspected an ear infection. She was up screaming a lot last night, and had a 101 temp yesterday afternoon. It was odd that she didn't have any big cold leading up to it though.

I'm pretty sure part of her sad attitude all day was due to the ear infection, and part of it was because of the lack of sleep last night. But we went to the appointment, and as we entered the room she started freaking out. And even if she completely remembered what was going to happen (shots), it was still very out of character for her to flip out this much about it. I couldn't even get two words in to her nurse while she was in the room with us. I tried my best to get her undressed, and onto the scale. But she was squirming and trying to bury her head in my arm. Then when we laid her out on the examining table, she was shaking around and kicking all over the place. So we didn't get a good measurement of her height.

The doctor came in and asked if a physician's assistant could look her over first. I have gotten this most of the time we have been in, so it was fine with me. I mentioned to both of them that while I'm sure they get a lot of upset patients, that it was out of character for her to be this upset of something. Explained her day that she had yesterday and asked if they could check her ears. They checked her temp, and verified that it was normal. The PA decided against doing the exam herself because of how upset she was. That her doctor would have to do it again anyway, and useless to have to put her through it twice.

They did ask the development questions, and she told me that in some respects, she was at a 2 year 10 month aged child. Go Gwen....although part of me wishes she could just be a regular 18 month old. She doesn't HAVE to grow up so fast! I heard her really starting to put small sentences together today. She can tell me what people are doing....Trevor, potty....mommy, mail....I'm guessing it won't be long before she is tattling on her brother. Or maybe she is trying to do it now.

Anyway, so the doctor came in for her exam, and checked her ears, and yep...ear infection in her right ear. He said it wasn't inflamed, but that it was obviously an ear infection. So the PA got to see it too. Her only shot was the Hep A shot, which didn't have any impact on the antibiotics. So she did get one shot, but I was happy not to have to go through the appointment again. They are usually so much more enjoyable than that one was. Thankfully, I didn't really have any questions for him. But she can be a lot of fun to watch when she's not so unhappy.

Oh well....we had great timing. I probably would have taken her to Urgent Care today if we hadn't had the appointment. And she is now on the mend. So she'll be almost back to normal in a few days. Just sleeping and naps will be messed up for a while.

So we are starting the Easter festivities tomorrow! Looking like a beautiful weekend, weather-wise as well!

No comments: