Friday, November 27, 2009

6 years of living with Trevor

It is absolutely amazing that it has been 6 years already since we were making the calls to the grandparents and new aunts and uncles saying that Trevor had been born. I have learned so much about myself and how to be a better parent, and I am so thankful that I've been able to share it all with him. This past year has been the most difficult in terms of him coming into his own personality, and battling his parents. Although I can't say that he's going to be more difficult when he is going to be a teenager, I am glad that he has waited this long to be slightly sassy in his ways. He never was a temper tantrum kid. Thankfully, Gwen really isn't either. But if boys have the difficulty in their toddler/early kid years, we have been in for a real treat, compared to some. Now he is at the age where he can express what is going on, as long as he wants to.

Over the last year, we have really gotten into a good routine, even though we have gone through a lot of changes. Going from the end of preschool, to summer programs, to every-day Kindergarten has been a big change, and we have had to change our routine if things got too difficult for him (or me for that matter).

Trevor really has also had a lot of development with his feelings of fear, whether rational or not. It was pretty painful for the first part of the year, but gradually it has gotten much better.

Trevor lost his first tooth which was a pretty big deal for him, especially for him and being fearful. He has yet to lose his second tooth, but I'm hoping it won't be as big of a deal. I guess we'll see.

His strength and ability in sports with his confidence has really improved. We are still trying to figure out if he wants to throw a ball with his right or left hand.

He loves Joe Mauer and any Twins. He likes to ask people who they cheer for in sports, and is deciding that he can cheer for more than one team, unless those teams are playing each other.

He is also getting better at playing Wii games.

I am a little surprised that he has yet to ask for anything really. I'm not exactly going to pressure him into asking for anything, but for the most part, I have to initiate asking what he would like, or if he would like something. When we get the toy catalogs, he looks through them, but never really cares about trying to actually get anything.

Well Trevor, it has been a great year. Tough at times, yes, but I need to keep in mind it is only temporary, and hope to see you grow stronger and more kind in the years to come. I love you baby boy.

No comments: