Thursday, November 26, 2009

So much to be thankful for

What wonderful kids we have. While some days are more difficult than others, I am very thankful to have each and every one of them. Over the past month I have really taken the time to notice Trevor's maturing. Especially his understanding of things and the way he talks and discusses things with me. I treasure our short car rides and lunch times where I get to talk to him about school or whatever else is going on. The other day in the car while going back from swimming lessons, he really seemed like he wanted to talk with me about the movie I was going to go see. It helps that I have been to his classroom and know most of what goes on during an average day so I can talk with him about it.

His patience is greatly increasing, and that has helped a lot. He still has snap reactions when something is upsetting to him, but it isn't every time like it used to be. As always, it is helpful to him to know what to expect if he doesn't behave like he needs to. He can be pretty tough on himself, but I do try to talk to him about that as well, to make sure that I'm not falling into the "no news is good news" trap. I don't want him to think that the only thing I expect to hear about are the not-so-good things that happen when he is out and about.

I am a little surprised that his teacher has been gone a lot over the course of the year. Some of the time, she has her own meetings, but others she is sick. I really hope that she is doing well. Trevor's birthday celebration at school was yesterday, and she was sick that day as well. But I think Trevor did better than he usually does. I'll have to ask him about it next week.

It is amazing to think that we are fast approaching winter break. I am very thankful that the weather was at least tolerable this month. I'm also thankful for being able to get out a few times this winter. Which reminds me, I have to put a note into his school to make sure it isn't a surprise. Hopefully nothing too bad will come of it. I hope everyone of my friends and family know how thankful I am to have them in my life...even if at a distance. Have a great Thanksgiving all!

No comments: