Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Discovery of new things

So it's getting close to that time of year. Doubly close with Trevor's birthday thrown in there. We actually had our ECFE class discuss toddler toys and all the different inexpensive or free things you can do or make that your kids might like. Coincidentally, the day before Gwen had gotten out one of our lei's from Disney World. The way that she plays with it, she broke the string and all the flowers came off. They are silk...I think. Not the shiny kind, but the dull, soft kind. I didn't notice that she had broken the necklace, and was putting the dishes in the dishwasher when I heard her singing a song like London Bridges. Recently, we had been singing a song about falling leaves to the tune of London Bridges, and noticed when I watched her that she had thrown a lot of these flowers up in the air like we did with the silk leaves to sing the song. While I have since gotten all the unnecessary pieces of the necklace out of the way, she LOVES these "leaves". She will lay on the ground and want you to throw them up in the air and land on her. However, she gets too excited and can't stay on the ground. I had considered going to Michael's to get some leaves like at ECFE, and now I don't have to.

Then yesterday, with the great weather we had been having, we were outside playing after lunch. I had been looking for our box of chalk, and can't seem to find it. But I did find a few bunny shaped chalk that we could at least play around with a little bit. Gwen just wants to have the bunnies hop around and will draw a little bit with them. Trevor wasn't really interested in them a whole lot until I started using them to write words. Then Trevor realized that he could do the same thing. I wrote random words, not trying to write anything in particular. So that's what he did. He had such a good time, and we spent a good part of the time doing that, so I figured I would break out the window crayons for the porch area. That was a great hit with both kids. Trevor could draw and write words, and Gwen could pretend she was just like Trevor. If Trevor let her on the same window that he was on. I don't know how much longer it will work, because it already was a little chilly on the windows. But it was an inexpensive way to play with the kids for a while.

Last night we had our H1N1 vaccinations. They were out of the mist, so unfortunately, Trevor was a bit upset when he found out that he would have to get a shot. But we did take care of our seasonal flu shots for Trevor and I, and I think we are going to be done for the season. They may get more of the H1N1 for kids under 9, but with the fact that Trevor actually got the flu, and the vaccine, I am comfortable with him being adequately immunized. I'm not sure what they are going to do for next year. Now we go to the doctor soon for Trevor's well-check. And he has no reason to be nervous.

On a good note, the nurse that helped us with our shots, was very nice and complimentary for both kids. They recovered quick, and Gwen got freaked out when she saw me get a shot. But I think that helped Trevor realize (after the fact) that I didn't think the shot hurt. So Trevor is happy to say that he's done for another year. Perhaps there won't be any more shortages of the mist, and we'll be good for a long time. At least with Trevor. Gwen's got more shots in her future. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: