Sunday, November 29, 2009

Taking out the Christmas stuff

Every year it is a little different. It's interesting to see what Trevor remembers and what he needs a little help remembering. And now that Gwen is a little more interactive, it's fun to see what she picks up on.

We don't have our tree yet, so it isn't all done yet, but we got out the things that Trevor really wants to see. Movies, books, stockings, and some other wall decorations is all we have. We do have our new LED outdoor icicle blue and white lights out. Last year it got too cold too fast, and we had too much going on to get them out there.

I'm a little surprised that Gwen isn't into the books yet. I suppose it could be just that she isn't into books in these last few days. She is into the nativity set, although she calls it the "night-night" (or phonetically - ni-ni). And she is also very good at understanding what we don't want her to play with and gravitating towards that in any way possible. Trevor and Russ were trying out the Mouse Trap game that he got for his birthday, and Gwen new that it wasn't for her, yet she climbed onto the back of the chair to get her chance to play with it. She played with it by herself, taking it apart and playing with the figures in the game for a good 15 or so minutes.

She also wants to play with the Mickey Mouse Advent Calendar that we have had for a few years now. Trevor is trying to peak at the Christmas ornaments that are in each of the boxes, so it is fun for him to look at it, but I know if Gwen got a hold of it, we wouldn't be able to find any of them when it came time to put it away.

And of course I was directly asked if Santa Claus is real while reading him the Twas the Night Before Christmas book this evening. I tried redirection, and talking about St. Nicholas, but basically I had to explain that St. Nicholas is real, and he can talk about it at Sunday School. Argh....Hopefully he won't ruin it for Gwen next year until I'm sure she asks about it....

So back to school for Trevor tomorrow, and me on Wednesday. I don't know how they are going to do the holiday break for us. I guess we'll have to see. Maybe I should start reading ahead in my Humanities book. Or maybe not.

No comments: