Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sleeping....who knew it would be this tough?

Being young and oblivious to everything about having babies and kids, I never knew the struggles with sleeping. I have learned, through Russ that I am a very light sleeper, and need pretty much the perfect sleeping arrangement before I will fall asleep. I have and still do prefer to get a lot of sleep. I can function with less than say 7 hours of sleep, but I don't really like it.

Now with Russ, he can fall asleep anywhere at just about anytime. There have even been times where he has been driving after not a lot of sleep where he needs to go and get something to eat or drink to keep himself awake.

Now as far as actually sleeping, or not, I have those bouts where I get horrible insomnia, usually because something is on my mind. And then I also have times where I am tensely aware of Trevor making a peep and listening to make sure he is ok. So all around, I'd call myself a light sleeper.

By this point, it is pretty obvious to see that Trevor has more my sleep habits than Russ's. It takes him probably a half hour on average to fall asleep, given "right" conditions. And if things are not "right" you'd better wear that kid out because he can stay up for hours.

When T was younger, he was always difficult to get to sleep until we learned how to just let him put himself to sleep. But he has always been a napper, and I'm going to keep using that until it causes him to be up way too late.

Currently though, he is going through a bit of a situation..... He hasn't wanted to sleep ON his bed during naps or at night time. He will usually pull the covers off of the bed, and make a big pile on the floor. Add to it that he will sit upright to try to keep himself awake. Last night he was up until 10:30. And then was up before 7am this morning.

Way back when I was younger, my parents always let us come into bed with them if we had bad dreams or such. The times that I have slept with Trevor, it REALLY doesn't work because he tosses and turns, and usually ends up sleeping with his feet in my back or stomach. So I get up even more than I usually do.

I'm pretty aware that this is just a temporary thing. There were a few months in a row where he really had a good sleep routine. I wonder if it's going a little haywire right now because we haven't really had a routine. We've been out of the house on vacation and such a lot the past month.

But thinking ahead to baby #2, I wonder if he/she will be like myself and Trevor or like daddy? If I had to guess, I'd actually say like dad. I rarely get up because the baby wakes me up in the middle of the night. From what I remember, I was up a lot because of Trevor kicking me in the ribs or something.... But I also know that I can't count on it. If anything, maybe we learned a few tricks from Trevor that we can use on #2.

Regardless....I hope the nights fly by....and it isn't as hard as the first time around. Time to make a wish!!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Baz is completely different than Anya when it comes to sleeping, so there is hope!