Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What's Tomorrow, Today Mommy?

This is the phrase I am given when Trevor is stalling for time to keep me upstairs before his nap or bedtime. It has actually been in use for quite some months now. I don't have the heart to correct him, as for the most part I do just repeat the phrase correctly if he is learning to conjugate verbs or whatever. But the above phrase actually means, "What are we doing next?" Trevor is still doing pretty well with his afternoon naps, and knows the difference between "day" and "night" naps, but if he has to take a nap, then when he wakes up is "Tomorrow". So "What's Tomorrow, Today?" Is the question that I get when he wants to know what's going on next. Although as if it is enough to simply answer the question with an answer, it then turns into "What's tomorrow after swimming lessons?" I've tried heading it off by talking about what we are doing after his nap, or the next few days, but there is never an end to "what's next?"

But he is very happy when I get to tell him a list of things that are coming up, rather than "I'm not sure." So we have a list going right now that he is really happy about: Bubba's coming over, then Tracy's coming over, then swimming lessons, then we are going to the cabin.

Now....onto a little installment of Trevor and Elizabeth: And I wanted to thank Elizabeth's mom for this little snippet.

A little background on Trevor. I'm pretty sure he talks about Cars, pretends he is a car, or drives around in a car at least 80% of his day. And when he is pretending he is a car, he is Lightning McQueen. If he is playing with his Cars, he is always Lightning McQueen, and I am whomever he feels like at the time. I'd say most of the time it's Mater, followed by Sally, and any other random race car.

Now, fast forward to T-ball. I'm sure he was out running around either during or after T-ball, making his car noises, when Elizabeth was following him around. I heard her say she wanted to be Lightning McQueen too. But of course Trevor wouldn't ever share that title. Even for his favorite girl..... So he convinced her to be Mater. Around and around they played...running and making their car noises.

I guess, as the kids were leaving, Elizabeth was saying to her family that she was Mater. Then, when Trevor walks by, she gets a big grin on her face and says, "And THAT'S Lightning McQueen". And why are we thinking this is so cute? Because, Lightning McQueen and Mater are Best Friends!

And these Best Friends are even going to preschool together. I hope the teachers are ready for the two of them.

No comments: