Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A doctor visit

Yesterday was Gwen's 1 year appointment. It was pretty uneventful, as usual. We did get permission to face her forward. Although the safety commission has strongly urged parents to have their infants rear facing as long as possible. She is already showing signs of wanting to face forward. I don't think it would be as hard to face her rear for longer if she didn't have an older sibling that was already front facing. Or if she was the third child and there was someone to look at in the back. Regardless, I'm sure she will be forward facing soon.

For those of you that don't know, the guidelines for forward facing children are that they have to be a year AND 20 lbs. I don't know exactly what the limits are for 20 lbs at 1 year, but both of my kids have exceeded that, I think even at 9 months. So when I was talking to a few other mom friends, they were mentioning that they turned their kids to forward face when they were 21 lbs, meaning it was past a year.

Oh, funny side note...well, not really funny but anyway.... we were waiting for the doctor to come into our room and Gwen was walking all over the room. I think she had grabbed a toy from her bag and was putting it on her head. She had put it on her forehead over her eyes so she couldn't see very well, and then proceeded to almost run right into the door. It made a very loud sound, so at that time, the doctor walked in saying, "Does anyone need a doctor?" But as per usual, Gwen had a very quick recovery. Plus she was probably pretty doped up from the ibuprofen I gave her for her shots. But it made a pretty red mark on her forehead for the visit.

After the behavior checklist, I was told she is in the 15-16 month level for development. All of a sudden, this week has been full of learning new words. Balloons, animal noises, dollies, spoon, shoes, socks, car, more, water, hat....she loves to repeat.

And I have to tell you about a funny phrase I heard this weekend, care of Russ. He had been outside working on the wall most of the weekend. But had bought some soda for his workers. After dinner, he had opened the freezer and found an exploded can of Coke. The phrase that got me: "For a second I was wondering how the cat puked in the freezer". That would be one I never thought I would hear.

No comments: