Sunday, October 19, 2008

A visit to the pumpkin patch

We were on MEA (Teacher conferences) break Wed afternoon - Friday for school, so on Friday we decided to go out to Bubba's house to go to visit the pumpkin patch. Trevor still remembers from last year, although I think it will be the 3rd year we have gone there. It was pretty busy because all the kids were off from school. But we got there right away in the morning, and it was only going to get more busy.

They did have a bouncing house that they were setting up as well. Trevor was looking forward to that, when he saw it. There was also a hayride. I wasn't sure if we were going to go on it or not. Given that it would be pretty busy and that most hayrides are supposed to be "spooky". So we started with the animals. There was a turkey, sheep, chickens, goats, calfs, and ducks. They had feed machines so we spent some money doing that. Also, we took some pictures with the "put your head through the hole" poses they had. Then, the first hayride was going to start. We made the decision (and Trevor was pretty happy) to jump on board as it was almost ready to leave. I bought the tickets and got on the ride. Both Trevor and Gwen loved the pieces of straw. Our tour guide "Mike" started the ride off with three rules. #1, no throwing straw off of the ride. #2 I cannot remember what it was, but Trevor thinks it was no throwing straw at each other. #3 You have to have fun. The group on the ride were all very young kids with the exception of two pre teen girls. The tour guide was very good about not acting the least bit scared or scary when explaining all the stops. But still, Trevor picked up on the vibe and a few times he was hiding his face while giving me a big hug. He was asking a few times for it to be done. But it was bright, and really there wasn't any gross stuff.

So the ride was done and he wanted to do the jumping house. I went back over to get more tickets, and the ticket taker asked me if I graduated in '96. At that point I really looked the guy in the face and was surprised to see that it was someone I went to Elementary school with. So I said "Hi Troy" and he said he thought he recognized me. I'm bad at studying other people and have probably missed noticing a lot. But anyway, Trevor had his time in the jumping house, and then went on to the stationary tractors to get his picture taken. At that point, he became "tour guide Trevor". He was performing the same way as our tour guide on the hayride. Not only did he do it on these tractors, but also when we came home. He was doing it outside as a fun game.

I'm hoping that conquering some small fears ahead of the time that we go to Disney World will help him want to go on a few more rides than he would if we had gone a few months ago. A lot of his fear isn't something that he can communicate very well, but the things that I can see, we talk about and let him see that they aren't that big of a deal. The one that I'm really puzzled about is the Buzz Lightyear ride. Russ and I think he would love it...and he probably will if we can get him to ride it. But we show him pictures and he says he doesn't want to go on it. And I'm not sure why. He has computer games that he plays with as Buzz, I'm just not sure what else to do other than take him on other rides so he can understand what is going to happen. Hopefully it is just an unknown fear. I guess we'll see.

But for now...it was a successful pumpkin patch trip. Upcoming are the costume parties! Here we comeeeee!!!

No comments: