Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gwen Growing up

I wanted to document how she has been doing, and how things have been with her before I forget. And I'm sure I'm going to forget a lot as it is, but it's more to remember for other parents or parent-t0-be.

Month #1
Seriously just surviving and getting as much sleep as you can. Trying to keep yourself healthy and healing from being pregnant are very important. Gwen was pretty good at sleeping once we figured out that she was hungry most of the time. She slept for I think 6-7 hours straight in the hosptial, and is pretty good at night time. Really, I never leave my chair during the day to nurse her. She is on me all the time. Poor Trevor doesn't get a lot of time with me. While she doesn't have as much of a falling reflex when she sleeps, she will still stir awake occassionally. Every car ride is a horror. She doesn't start screaming when you strap her in, but shortly after.

Month #2
Having more time where she wasn't just eating or sleeping. She was a great smiler. It made it easier. She really started to get gassy, and we tried to move her into her own room at this time because she was already only getting up to eat like once a night. Going to sleep between 11 - 1:30. It still really isn't much time before she goes back to sleep, but at least she isn't always on me anymore. But she still cannot entertain herself. AT. ALL. She needs to be held or brought with whenever I do anything. We are trying to hold on to her for a good 15 minutes plus before putting her to sleep. Otherwise she knows she is in her bed and wants to be on someone. I tried her sleeping on her stomach, but she didn't care. She would still wake up. But I did find out that sleeping on her side was easier. Maybe because she ate a lot of the time on her boppy pillow so that's how she fell asleep. We now sit behind her in long car rides so she can look at someone's face. It helps for about 15 minutes, then she still freaks out.

Month #3
Average time going to bed is around 11:30. Up for the day between 5:30 and 6:00. She has about 10 bottles a day. But doesn't eat a full bottle ever. She fusses when she eats most of the time, unless it is the middle of the night. When we are out and about, she is easily distracted and doesn't seem to need to eat as much. I don't know if it is because the flow of liquid is too slow, if she is gassy, just wants to suck on something, or something else. She has yet to consistantly take a pacifier or find a thumb. When she naps, on average it is 15 minutes. Yes I'll get REALLY lucky like once a week for a 2-3 hour nap, but otherwise, it is very hard to do anything. I can take her on 5 minute car rides to pick up Trevor from school, otherwise she freaks out.

Month #4
I start feeling more confident on taking the kids out. I sign up for Music Class for Trevor again. The car ride is longer, and Gwen starts to make it some of the time. It's only 10 minutes at most. Average time going to bed is 10:30 - 11:00. She will go through times where she will sleep all the way until 6, but other times she wakes up once. Trevor was over a year before I got this much sleep at night. During the day, her naps are around 30 minutes. But at least now, she stays awake about 2 hours and then needs to take a nap. I carry her around a lot when I have to get stuff done, otherwise I can't do anything. She still isn't lasting long playing by herself, unless she has a face to look at. If I can make her last 3 hours between bottles, she eats well without fussing. But some days it just doesn't work that way.

Month #5
Things are really starting to work. Her bedtime is moving earlier, but nighttimes are hit or miss. This particular week, she is going to bed around 9:30 but waking up around 3 and staying awake until 5. Happily of course, but it isn't very easy on mom. It could be worse. She could be waking up at 5 and then when she finally goes back down, Trevor could be waking up. I know this is just a phase. I also know that sleeping in her bouncy chair is a phase, but she is getting really big for it! It is the happiest place for her to eat. She is VERY easily distracted when she eats, but can usually last 3 hours or until she has to nap again before getting another bottle. Car rides go pretty well. She can last 30 minutes and up to 25 without a face to look at. She can entertain herself for 10 minutes at home in the exersaucer or under her baby gym. Her naps are about 40 minutes or so - only get 3 or so a day. I'm looking forward to next month when she really gets the nighttime sleeping down. Granted, a lot of what is going on now is probably teething related. She has a runny nose, but it doesn't seem to be cold-related. Most likely teething. She did also just start sucking on a pacifier to numb her gums. As long as she has been well-fed, she likes to suck on it. I'm hoping eventually she will take it as a way to get herself to sleep. But I can't count on that.

Anyway, things are really changing....she loves to babble and make new noises. She sits up very well, but does not like cereal. So we'll be holding off for at least another few weeks. I might just have to add to this if I forget of something I wanted to add...otherwise I'll just add new "months" in new posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also, she recently started sticking her tongue out at people. It's really quite amusing.