Thursday, February 7, 2008

What's going on with Trevor

And no, I'm not trying to complain. I feel like I haven't updated everyone on how and what is going on with Trevor. He is becoming very independent and very self-sufficient. But that doesn't exactly erase the mommy guilt of every time Gwen goes down to take a nap, I should try to play with him.

Anyway, the big thing that is always around these days are Trevor's food aversions. I've come to believe that it's almost pointless to have your young child try different things when they are first eating solid foods. Doesn't mean I won't still do it with Gwen, but Trevor loved a BUNCH of different foods: avacados, mangos, beans, peas, and I know there were a lot more. I'll remember them when I make a list for Gwen to try. But now, there are only a few select foods he eats without asking "how many more bites until I can be done?" It's also a little hard because around the time he was sick with this last cold, he had a lot of junk in his throat, so eating was tough. Actually, more the swallowing. So I can remember twice where he gagged on french fries from McD's. Now, he won't touch them. And he doesn't even care for the apple dippers. But that's what we get now. It has also become all french fries. So his usual stand-by of chicken fingers and fries is no more. His new food that he always tries to order is spaghetti. Luckily a lot of our dine-in places do have it.

One other food dislike is milk. He will usually drink chocolate milk, and take milk in his cheerios in the morning, but if it is to drink for lunch or dinner, he doesn't want it. He prefers water. Thank GOODNESS I didn't ever give him juice in his straw cups because he just thinks that's what he should have. He has a glass of OJ in the morning with breakfast, and that's all the juice he gets. So he is a good water drinker.

Off of the subject of food, I wanted to make note of the current way you have to read stories to him. I usually read stories before he goes to bed, and he has always tried to make me stay longer in his room. Sometimes it was "Mommy, I have to ask you a question". Sometimes it was "Mommy, I need a hug and a kiss" - This was after 2 or 3 hugs and kisses. But now, the stalling takes place during storytime. Every single thing he can point out in a picture, he says "What's he saying?" So you have to interpret what that person or thing is thinking to himself. And of course it may not be anything realistic. It could be a rock in a picture. ANYTHING to keep me talking and in the room. I do give him credit. It can keep me an extra 5 minutes.

So last night he was reading a story to me after I was done. And I did it to him. "What's he saying?" He did really well! He interpreted what that person was thinking in the story. I might just have to challenge him next time. Maybe throw in a rock or tree or something. See how he takes it.

No comments: