Monday, April 28, 2008

I love Math

Did you all know that Math was my favorite subject in school? I pretty much loved it until Calculus. I did fine with Calculus but I then knew that I did not want to make Math my major. It got way too abstract for me. I liked Geometry ok...but saw the use of it in physics. My favorite had to be Algebra. Although give me simple math any day. Use $$ and I'm in heaven. Weird I know.

But Trevor has been soaking up information regarding math-type things and seems to be enjoying it as well. So that has been fun to watch. He had been using the Speak-n-Math that I had as a child and doing the few things he could on that. He asks for help on the addition questions, but can figure out most of the questions on the "write it" section. I know for sure that he now knows how to count up to 100. He can do it really fast too. I think he was showing me how fast and was proud without me having to ask him to do it.

I guess maybe the knowledge came from his interest in Nascars. He has known the numbers from 1 to 20 since Sesame Street. And known (if I'm remembering correctly) that Lightning McQueen is number 95 since the movie dialogue, but all the other numbers came from asking about them being on Nascar. And yes, most of them were because he memorized that #48 is Jimmy Johnson, #24 is Jeff Gordon. But if you asked him a while back what the number 47 was, he would have said it was 74. He transposed the numbers because the numbers 13-19 come by saying the second number first. So he would say the number 47 as "seventeen four". Now, there is no mistaking that he knows how to count and say every number from 1 to 100.

So I'm trying to even increase that number. Not that I expect him to count, but simply read numbers higher than that. What I'm also using is a disney channel album by "They Might Be Giants" entitled "Here Come the 1 2 3's". He likes the song "Zero" where it talks about the numbers that can be made from using zeros and the fact that our house number is 6000. It will be cool to see where he goes from here.

Anyway....it is time for me to get to bed. Hopefully we get more sleep than a 5am wake-up call, but you never really know.

No comments: