Thursday, April 3, 2008

A very happy 1/2 birthday...

Yep...half birthday time! I tried to explain it to Trevor, but I think without presents or some other recognition from the rest of the world, it doesn't mean much to him.

Without sounding like an old historical novel, Gwen has really come into her own the past few weeks. Totally surprising to me mostly because of how sick she got with her last cold. Sleeping has been a nightmare not because of waking up in the middle of the night, but because she will not go down. Of course as I'm saying this, she is up in her crib for a nap for the first time in I think over a week.

She can sit up unassisted for a very long time. She can tolerate short errands in a cart. The most naps she takes are 3..going longer than 2 hours in between naps. Although she hasn't eaten cereal at all, she is an expert at using a spoon to take her antibiotics, so I'm now switching to sweet fruits and veggies making sure the food is very runny and not clumpy.

She has me trained at least for a "come get me" cry. But is consoled VERY easily. The few times she has had bumps or owies, if I hold her, she is calmed down in under 5 seconds. She is very lovey. Lots of hugs, kisses, and smiles.

No teeth yet, nor has she definitively given me any of the signs I'm trying to teach her. But if her scooting is any indication, she might be crawling sooner than Trevor was, and therefore maybe walking sooner too. We'll see.

With this half birthday, has come a major turning point in her life. I really feel like she has a much calmer demeanor than I originally thought. I guess she just had to work some of her frustrations out.

Now, on the flip side, Trevor being out of school for two weeks now is driving both of us CRAZY. I can tell he really wants to be outside in this beautiful weather, but he is also wanting to boss us both around. I'm pretty sure that is coming from him being tired of me and all my "meanness". Really though, he is a very well-behaved kid. I shouldn't complain. It could be so much worse. I'm wondering if Gwen will test me more than Trevor has.

Tomorrow we head to the lake. Trevor has been looking forward to this for many months. We'll see how Gwen does with the change in scenery!

No comments: