Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sibling rivalry already?

Actually, I'm not all that surprised it is already, more that it even happened at all. But then, when I think about how possessive Trevor has been about his things, and not letting Gwen have even a moment of enjoyment out of her own toys, I guess I should have seen it coming.

I know part of the fact that Gwen loves to look at faces and whatever is going on is really a cool stage for her to be in. But add to it that I think she really likes and seeks out Trevor's face because she recognizes and sees it every day, and to me it is really cute. And there are times, like if I have to run to the bathroom, where Trevor knows that all he has to do is look at her, and she smiles, coos, talks to him, and is generally in a great mood. So if I have to do something like make a meal, or unload the dishwasher, I will put her in her swing and not turn it on because Trevor often is jumping on his trampoline right in front of the swing. It keeps her entertained for quite a while, and Trevor has lot of energy, so he'll be jumping for a long while as well.

However, if he's simply not in the mood to make her happy, he will purposely go around the couch and play with his trains so that she can't watch him. If he is eating breakfast, and she is sitting in her high chair, he is constantly saying, "Gwen, don't look at me.". LOVELY.

A big reason why I had hoped that this wouldn't happen was because I don't remember it happening with me. I was 4 1/2 years older than my brother, and I think because of that age difference, I just wasn't interested in him or his stuff. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly or something. Unfortunately, I don't see Trevor stopping with this rivalry, especially if she starts getting old enough to move around and want to play with his toys. While I know we are going to have to try to separate some of the toys and let Trevor have his own toys that Gwen can't play with, I'm pretty sure that's not going to be the best way to win his affection.

Oh well. I'm thinking he's going to be an awesome big brother when he gets old enough to have to protect her from the kids that get her into trouble......I hope.

No comments: